Health Cover in Spain - Retirement Village Spain

Click Here to Contact Us

 The Village is no longer taking anymore residents - we will let you know when there is a new village available

Health Cover in Spain

Health Cover for UK Citizens in SpainAnyone thinking of moving to Spain who is reliant on benefits should take advice on health and benefit entitlements from the Department of Work and Pensions in the UK who have an international section and can advise on their particular situation. They're in Newcastle on Tyne and you can call them on 0191-218-7547. They also have a website If you go into any of the benefit sections on this website, they have a living abroad link with general information. See also our Health Care Assistance page.

More generally, anyone who is not paying into the Spanish Social Security system must obtain the appropriate health insurance cover so that they can get treatment in the event of illness. If you're planning on becoming a resident in Spain and won't be working, health insurance is a requirement of your residency.

Medicines prescribed by health service practitioners can be obtained from any pharmacy (farmacia). You will have to pay up to 40% of the cost unless you are a UK or other EEA pensioner, in which case the medicines will be free of charge.

Many foreign residents in Spain are opting for private health insurance especially as the Spanish National Health Service, although excellent, will not meet all of your needs. It is difficult to say how much you will need to allocate towards health insurance as this will depend on your current health and level of insurance you require. I have listed below some useful contact details to help get you started.

If you are moving to Spain but you require medication that is supplied on prescription in the UK, you will need to register your change of address with the Overseas Division (Medical Benefits) of the Department of Works and Pensions Benefits Agency, before leaving the UK.

Paperwork will then be completed in order for you to receive the Spanish national health card from Spanish social services. This will need to be produced whenever medical treatment is needed. It should cover 90% of the cost of the prescription charges.

It is worth asking your doctor for the generic name of the prescription drug which a Spanish doctor will need as medicines can vary from country to country.

More information is available from the Pensions and Benefits Overseas Directorate in Newcastle.

Other Useful Links

Tel: 01273-208181

Expacare Insurance Services
Tel: 01344 381650

Goodhealth Worldwide Ltd.
Tel: 0870 442 7376 

2019 SEPo