Pensions - Living in Spain - Retirement Village Spain

Click Here to Contact Us

The Village is no longer taking anymore residents - we will let you know when there is a new village available

 Pensions - Living in Spain

If you're planning to live abroad when you retire, you will still be able to claim your State Pension. If you decide to work and settle in another country before reaching State Pension age, then you will still be able to get your StatePension when you retire and claim it and this will be based on what you contributed whilst paying into the scheme.

Your State Pension can be paid directly into any bank or building society account that you nominate. You can use a bank or building society in the UK, or a bank in the country in which you live. In most countries, the money will be automatically converted into the local currency.

Before you move aborad, it is wise to talk to your tax office and also, if possible to a pension’s advisor to ensure that you have the right information for your personal circumstances.

We would also recommend that you take the following action:

  • Get a State Pension forecast which you can do by completing form BR19 from your local Jobcentre Plus or HM Revenue & Customs. Entitlements can vary according to the country you are looking to live in but all EU countries have tax and pension treaties to help facilitate the payment of pensions and other benefits accrued in the birth country.
  • Inform your social security office, HM Revenue & Customs National Insurance Contributions Office (International Services) and the Department for Work and Pensions when you move and provide your contact details abroad so that should they need to they can contact you. If returning to the UK to live, we would again recommend you contact them immediately.

2019 SEPo